My novel series, “Stealing Thunder” deals with the rise of Communist China. Since writing the book, Communist China has initiated the Belt and Road Initiative to conquer what Mackinder called the “Heartland” across Europe and Asia.
The CIA has FINALLY figured out the threat.
“The greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality, is the counterintelligence and economic espionage threat from China.”
FBI Director Christopher Wray
On Zerohedge, the article notes:
- The CIA on Thursday confirmed it has established a new ‘mission center’ focused on China after a major review that had been ordered earlier in the year by CIA Director Bill Burns.
- A new statement issued by Director Burns said the new China Mission Center “will further strengthen our collective work on the most important geopolitical threat we face in the 21st century, an increasingly adversarial Chinese government.”
- It comes amid criticisms that China is ultimately “out-spying” the United States, also amid tit-for-tat cyber intrusion accusations which have gone on for years. A separate report out this week in The New York Times also indicates US intelligence officials are increasingly worried that China is among a handful of nations increasingly arresting, executing, or oftentimes compromising US agents abroad.
- The China center will have a more narrowly focused mandate on China-related intelligence matters, which would include vaster resources. – rather than intelligence on China being collected under the prior aegis of the much larger “Mission Center for East Asia and Pacific”.
- “Mission center are stand-alone entities that utilize resources from across the CIA in line with agency priorities,” noted a prior Bloomberg report. Apparently an entire mission center for China has for years been under discussion, but with no director or prior administration willing to order its establishment, likely on fears it would trigger Cold War-style escalation and tit-for-tat covert ops.